Sunday, November 20, 2011

B Vital Salad Dressing

I found this recipe in amongst some magazines that I was finally getting ready to retire to the recycling bin.

What caught my eye was that this recipe had nutritional yeast in it. A bit of luck considering I just accidentally ordered a massive package of it from my grocery delivery service. I fully intended to use it to sprinkle on popcorn but soon realized that a half kilo of nutritional yeast may last me for years to come (they are as light as snowflakes!)

I have since done some more research into nutritional yeast and will be using it more often in savoury baked goods or even in soups. It is a great source of B vitamins, which is very important for vegetarians and is super high in protein- just 2 tablespoons contains 9 grams of protein! I found this interesting article that highlights some of the superstar qualities of this unusual yeast: http://www.smdp.com/Articles-c-2009-04-24-52910.113116_Singing_the_praisesof_nutritional_yeast.html

This salad dressing reminds me of another dressing that I used to buy called Little Creek Dressing. It also has nutritional yeast in it, but also contains raspberry vinegar for a little je ne sais quoi. So, if you happen to have something exotic like a fruit vinegar in your possession, be sure to try that instead! This recipe is adapted from an article about Hollyhock Farms and their salad dressing made with nutritional yeast. Since it is full of B vitamins, I re-named it B Vital Salad Dressing, since Yeast Dressing doesn't sound as appealing as this actually is!

I recommend buying the biggest pack of nutritional yeast you can get your hands on. Once you try this, you will be hooked!

B Vital Salad Dressing
This dressing is fabulous over top a big pile of greens and grated carrots. At the health food store I used to work at, they sampled similar dressings by dipping chunks of sourdough bread in to it. I recommend that too...

3 tbsp nutritional flake yeast
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or other fruit vinegar
1 tbsp crushed garlic (1-2 cloves)
1/2 cup neutral oil (grapeseed, sunflower, etc.)

1. Place all ingredients in a blender until it makes an emulsion. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.